Ecotech Québec and GreenCape, the Cleantech Cluster of Western Cape (South Africa), recently signed a framework collaboration agreement during the 9th Conference of Heads of Government of the Partner Regions in Quebec City. This aimed at deepening their economic and scientific relations in both Western Cape and Quebec, as well as strengthening the cleantech sectors.
In addition to this collaboration agreement, the clusters are both members of the International Cleantech Network (ICN), which aims to increase the internationalization of their members, as well as the sharing of good practices. ICN is a network of 13 clusters from the largest clean technology regions in the world.
Since 2010, the Western Cape, whose capital is Cape Town, has chosen to encourage private investment in renewable energies. Since then, the scope of this government orientation has broadened to include the broader green economy, and the province has attracted significant investments in the renewable energy, energy efficiency, bioeconomy, waste, water and sustainable agriculture sectors. South Africa is therefore an excellent business opportunity for cleantechs.
Main opportunities in South Africa
- Renewable energy: The country has just set itself an ambitious goal: 30% renewable and clean energy by 2025, which creates a robust South African and African demand for large scale wind and solar projects (± 200 billion rands since 2011,> capacity of 1 GW per year) • Solar PV on roof • Component manufacturing.
- Energy Efficiency: Industrial • Commercial • Agricultural • Government • Residential.
- Residual materials: Bioenergy • Value chains of secondary materials.
- Water: reuse and recycling of water • Decentralized treatment • Energy and water • Precision irrigation.
Tools for doing business in South Africa
- The ICN Passport: Thanks to the partnership between Écotech Québec and International Cleantech Network (ICN), Quebec clean technology companies can benefit from an office when traveling in the target market, with the assistance of a local team specialized in clean technologies ready to answer your questions (opportunities on the spot, potential partners, assistance in your efforts) in the target market; business intelligence reports on clean technologies in the given market; attractive discounts at certain events and conferences in the targeted market.
- Synthesis on South Africa, created by MESI
- GreenCape provides a support service, funded by the World Bank Climate Technology Program, for foreign companies seeking partners in South Africa.
- Market intelligence reports from GreenCape, detailing South Africa's green economy sectors.
- Trade Commissioners from Quebec and Canada Trindard Makunike, Canadian Trade Commissioner Service.